part-time (20 hours/week) non- exempt position, $28-$28/hour
This position is responsible for managing the operations and programming of the June Jordan School for Equity Community Kitchen. The Culinary Instructor will coordinate our year-round Culinary Job-training programs for youth age 14-18, and support our Community Health Education programs.
Urban Sprouts’ Job Training Programs serves a dual need: to improve the long-term health outcomes for underserved youth by providing rewarding and hands-on garden and kitchen-based education; and to provide young people who face barriers to entering the workforce with practical tools and work experience to better prepare them for future employment and financial self-sufficiency.
Must be available Monday’s from 12-6*, Tuesday’s from 11-6pm, and Thursday’s from 11-6pm. *time is potentially flexible. If possible schedule will change over summer break (June & July)
• Coordinate the culinary job-training program at the JJSE Farm, including facilitating weekly lessons, program planning, program documentation, and providing a safe learning environment for all program participants.
• Supervise and support 5-7 seven culinary interns each semester, tasks include: weekly check-ins and tracking individuals’ work readiness development.
• Create and implement and implement systems to manage the June Jordan School for Equity Community Kitchen including: kitchen maintenance, cleaning schedules, equipment maintenance, and ensure proper food storage and food-handling best practices are followed.
• Support the Urban Sprouts Community Health Education programs including the weekly Sunnydale Food pantry, community cooking classes, and community food demonstrations, and on-site events
• Ensure programs are implemented to the highest-quality standards, as outlined in site deliverables
• Promote the Urban Sprouts Mission wherever possible; represent Urban Sprouts in public meetings, community events, and forums as needed by the organization.
• Oversee program expenditures in accordance with program budgets
• Participate in weekly staff meetings, which include professional development and support, collaborative curriculum planning, and completing program reporting paperwork.
• Monitor, document and report on all activities and participation to the Program Director.
• At least 2-3 year of teaching experience and/or culinary training
• At least one year experience in small-scale organic food production, home gardening, cooking seasonally, reducing food waste, and creating culturally affirming recipes.
• Demonstrated ability and/or experience working in communities with higher risk of stress and trauma.
• Knowledge around social and racial justice, particularly issues around resource equity in San Francisco communities.
• Capable of working in a fast-paced outdoor environment, and able to lift 25 pounds from floor to table height.
Desired Skills and Experience
•Knowledge of and/or interest in topics including urban gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access, urban schools, and social justice.
• Bilingual and/or bi-cultural preferred (desired languages include Spanish, Tagalog, Cantonese).
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking skills.
• Strong skills in interpersonal communication, collaboration, and emotional intelligence.
• Ability to work independently, be flexible, strive for excellence, and think creatively.
Computer and project management skills.
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) non- exempt position reporting directly to the Program Director. Salary range $26-$28/hour DOE. Urban Sprouts is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Urban Sprouts is a project of the San Francisco Parks Alliance.
To Apply: Applications are being taken on a rolling basis with an anticipated start date of December 10th, 2018. Please no phone calls. Please send cover letter and resume (as one .pdf file) to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line, “Culinary Instructor”.